To find a leader that fits, start with a search process that fits
In collaboration with your search committee, AGB Search develops a plan based on your knowledge of the institution and our expertise in higher education executive search. The result is a comprehensive search process tailored to fit your needs.
We Start by Listening
The start of the search process is an opportunity to engage the campus community in thoughtful conversation. Our search process begins with listening sessions. Through listening to your search committee, board, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community, we develop a position profile that is aligned with future priorities and strategic plans. We ask questions such as:
- Why are you engaging in the search process now?
- What challenges have you faced recently, and what opportunities are on the horizon?
- Why would someone want to join your institution?
- What are the issues the executive will face upon arrival, and what priorities would you assign to each issue?
- What attributes are you seeking in a leader?
- What is the culture of your institution?
Recruit from an Inclusive and Well Qualified Candidate Pool
We value diversity in all of its forms and understand that qualified candidates can come from a variety of places, backgrounds and experiences. To provide you with the broadest range of options, we engage in a comprehensive recruitment process that includes:
- A national advertising strategy that is inclusive and utilizes print and online media
- Outreach to a broad and diverse network for nominations and applications
- Direct conversations with prospective candidates from higher education and the business, government and not for profit communities
- Research-based due diligence during the entire search process
While candidate interviews are important, research suggests that the interview is the least reliable predictor of success. Of greater significance is following a candidate’s record. Therefore, AGB Search is committed to deep due-diligence reviews that include research on candidate performance and relationships, candid conversations with references (on and off the list provided by the candidate) and, for final candidates, thorough background checks.
Select with Confidence
AGB Search assists where necessary, providing additional information on specific candidates and consulting on the appointment process. As an additional service, AGB Search can provide experienced legal counsel for drawing up the new executive’s contract.
Transition with Success
Once your new leader is appointed, a well-managed transition sets the stage for a successful tenure that strengthens and improves the institution. AGB Search advises the board and supports the new executive through the transition. We check in regularly. We provide guidance on the board’s role in the appointment of the executive, including considerations such as:
- Preparing the new executive to assume office
- Coordinating the introduction of the new executive to the campus, key donors, and legislative and community leaders
- Selecting key staff
- Assisting with housing, moving, family and other considerations
- Inaugurating the new leader
- Transitioning the outgoing executive
A Renewed Vision for the Future
By combining our proven approach with your aspirations, you can capitalize on every opportunity that the search process presents. The outcome of this search process will be more than a successful appointment—it will be a renewed vision for the future.
For more information on AGB Search, please contact us at 202-776-0856 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.